Monday, May 9, 2011

Working at the Clovis Online School, Part 1

I have worked in an online high school environment for the last 2 school years at the Clovis Online School based in Clovis (Central California). The school opened up in August 2009 with about 50 students enrolled. I was hired as a part-time computer applications/technology teacher. In 2009, we only offered courses to 9th and 10th graders with a goal of offering courses for 9th-12th grade the following year (which was successful). The first year was crucial for the school as we as teachers had to learn to teach effectively in an online environment. My teaching experience was limited at that time, so I was learning to teach also. I took courses at Fresno State to aid me in the whole process, which turned out well. Before this teaching job, I had worked as a graphic designer/marketing associate in a corporate environment as well as freelance. With this crucial experience, I was offered various side jobs from the school to help with brand identity and marketing. I created the school's logo which is pictured above. I also helped create posters for identity at "The Big Hat Days" and Fresno State's "Vintage Days," which are 2 major events in the area. I also worked at the booth to help promote the school. Since we are a public charter school, tuition is free, so we need students to attend to get money from the State to fund the school.

I will continue to talk about my experiences at the school in the next few posts, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment